In this Torah Portion, we continue with the final teachings of GOD through Moses to the Children of Israel. In as much, it was true then as it is true today. When a person is dying, they say to you the most important things to them. In this case, Moses is telling the things that are necessary for them to stay in the Land. According to everything from Joshua to Malichi, it was only a very brief time that Israel actually obeyed GOD. YHVH told Moses to remind Israel of the feast of YHVH and where they are to be held.
In Chapter 8 Moses reminded the Children of Israel what YHVH had done for them.
Deu 8:2-3 MKJV
(2) And you shall remember all the way which Jehovah your God led you these forty years in the wilderness in order to humble you, to prove you, to know what is in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.
(3) And He humbled you and allowed you to hunger, and then He fed you with manna, which you did not know, neither did your fathers know it, so that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes out of the mouth of Jehovah man shall live.
Mat 4:4 MKJV
(4) But He answered and said, It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.”
Luk 4:4 MKJV
(4) And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written that “man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word of God.”
That being said. GOD showed that they could not obey the commands, statutes, and judgment without the Spirit of GOD dwelling in their hearts. You cannot expect to be able to be saved if you only use what GOD said as a checklist. Yet, that is what people try to do each day without turning to GOD, asking forgiveness, and circumcising their hearts. Moses gave them many warnings that the Children of Israel would not follow GOD with their whole heart.
Joshua also warned them. Saying that they would not be able to follow GOD the way He wanted them to follow Him.
Jos 24:14-27 MKJV
(14) Now, then, fear Jehovah, and serve Him in sincerity and truth. And put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt, and serve Jehovah.
(15) And if it seems evil to you to serve Jehovah, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served Beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you live. But as for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah.
(16) And the people answered and said, Far be it from us to forsake Jehovah to serve other gods.
(17) For Jehovah our God is He who brought us and our fathers up out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. And He did those great wonders in our sight, and kept us in all our way in which we went and among all the people through whom we passed.
(18) And Jehovah drove out from before us all the people, even the Amorites who lived in the land. We will also serve Jehovah, for He is our God.
(19) And Joshua said to the people, You cannot serve Jehovah, for He is a holy God. He is a jealous God. He will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.
(20) If you forsake Jehovah and serve strange gods, then He will turn and do you harm, and destroy you after He has done you good.
(21) And the people said to Joshua, No, but we will serve Jehovah.
(22) And Joshua said to the people, You are witnesses against yourselves that you have chosen Jehovah, to serve Him. And they said, We are witnesses.
(23) And now put away the strange gods among you, and incline your heart to Jehovah, the God of Israel.
(24) And the people said to Joshua, We will serve Jehovah our God, and His voice we will obey.
(25) And Joshua made a covenant with the people that day, and set them a statute and an ordinance in Shechem.
(26) And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the Law of God, and took a great stone and set it up there under an oak by the sanctuary of Jehovah.
(27) And Joshua said to all the people, Behold, this stone shall be a witness to us, for it has heard all the Words of Jehovah which He spoke to us. It shall therefore be a witness to you, lest you deny your God.
Eze 11:17-20 MKJV
(17) Therefore say, So says the Lord Jehovah: I will even gather you from the people and assemble you out of the lands, in those where you were scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel.
(18) And they shall come there, and they shall take away all its hateful things and all its abominations from it.
(19) And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. And I will remove the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh,
(20) so that they may walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances, and do them. And they shall be My people, and I will be their God.
Eze 36:24-29 MKJV
(24) For I will take you from among the nations and gather you out of all lands, and will gather you into your own land.
(25) And I will sprinkle clean waters on you, and you shall be clean. I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from your idols.
(26) And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit within you. And I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh.
(27) And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you shall keep My judgments and do them.
(28) And you shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers. And you shall be My people, and I will be your God.
(29) I will also save you from all your defilements, and I will call for the grain, and will increase it, and will lay no famine on you.
The Torah is designed to show us that we cannot gain salvation by just doing what is written. No, He from the very beginning wanted us to have a personal relationship with Him. He never wanted us to have to sacrifice to Him to gain salvation. Yet, that is what they did. We thought that by giving the proper sacrifice that would be enough. We must love Him with our whole being and love our neighbor as ourselves. It is not until we have a personal relationship with Him. The Torah was a framework for us to approach Him and not die. It was not until Adam sinned that our relationship was severed. Even back then that His plan was placed in motion.
For other teachings please go to these links